Morbid Curiosities: The Uncommon & the Bizarre
- The Victorian Book of the Dead - $15.68
- Beyond the Dark Veil: Post Mortem & Mourning Photography from The Thanatos Archive - $21.01
- Mutter Museum Historic Medical Photographs - $38.73
- Memento Mori: The Dead Among Us - $39.82
- The Empire of Death: A Cultural History of Ossuaries and Charnel Houses - $39.06
Craniometer for your coffee table? Morbid Curiosities: Collections of the Uncommon and the Bizarre caters to those fascinated by the macabre. By the occult. By death. And I'm not talking the cartoonish, whimsical, Beetlejuice kind of macabre and occult and death here. I'm talking straight up Hellraiser.
Paul Gambino's Morbid Curiosities explores the extensive stashes of 15 different collectors in interviews, photos, and stories of objects as intriguing as they are bizarre and, let's me honest, F'd up. Items include skulls, mummified body parts, and carnival and criminal "ephemera." That's a nice way of saying, "stuff that might make your stomach turn."
Or stuff that might give you a hard-on. Everyone has their thing, 'eh?
Morbid Curiosities also has the pleasure of being the first public reveal of some of the photographs and discussion of the private collections included in the book.
DudeIWantThat.com is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Learn more.